Nowadays the Venetian Bembo fountain as well as the Ottoman sebil dominate in Kornarou Square. Until July 1970, however, there was also the imposing church of Christ the Saviour (San Salvatore) built at the end of the 13th century. It was the only purely Gothic church in allover Crete. Later, during the Turkish occupation, it was turned into a mosque, which was dedicated to the Sultan's mother, Valide. The square is also known as Valide Mosque or Falte Mosque. The church also functioned as a barn, barracks, refugee shelter and finally as a school. It was demolished in 1970.
Venetian fountain built in the 16th century. Today only the facade survives, which has the form of an ancient temple and is decorated with a statue (probably of Asclepius) of the Roman period on a pedestal and embossed with coats of arms. It took its name from the general governor Jean Matteo Bembo and marked the first time that the city of Chandax was supplied with water from a source outside the city limits.
In 1776, the shrine of Hadji Ibrahim Aga was built next to the Bembo fountain. The sebils were public fountains on the street, built by wealthy prominent Turks. Hadji Ibrahim Aga offered almost all his fortune to its maintenance. It is reported that his wish was to bring snow from Psiloritis mountain in the summer, in order to offer fresh running water to the thirsty travellers. It is the only one of its kind that survives today.